Work on the Isle of Man:
IOM Anti-Cancer Association is involved in a variety of projects on the Island, either focused on raising awareness of cancer, or supporting those affected by cancer. These projects include:
- Staywell Clinic (Cervical Screening) – providing women with the opportunity to have a cervical screening test outside of normal working hours and in a female-staffed clinic. This service is fully
funded and managed by IOM Anti-Cancer Association.
- Monthly Cancer Awareness Feature on Manx Radio – on the 1st Thursday of the month just after 10.30pm, covering a range of cancer awareness topics.
- Cancer Awareness within the community – bringing cancer awareness information to a local level.
- Psycho-Oncology Service – funding cancer-related psychology & counselling services in conjunction with Manx Cancer Help and Dept of Health & Social Care.
- Funding other projects that support people affected by cancer on the Island – e.g. funding information leaflets, survey of cancer patients, equipment for LookAhead chemotherapy hair loss
Working against cancer further afield:
IOM Anti-Cancer Association is committed to funding research into cancer, its causes and its treatment. We work with organisations from the UK who are making positive steps forward in the fight
We also fund organisations that provide cancer treatment to people from the Isle of Man. Funding examples include:
- refurbishment of the radiotherapy mould room at The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre
- development of the Papillon Suite at The Clatterbridge Cancer Centre (specialist radiotherapy for anal cancer)
- development of the chemotherapy department at the Christie Hospital
Over half of Island residents who need cancer treatment will receive at least part of their treatment off-Island.
Over the next few years we will be working in partnership with the Clatterbridge Cancer Centre to fundraise towards the development of a new hospital in the centre of Liverpool.
You can find out more about more about the new hospital development at www.transformingcancercaremc.nhs.uk
The Isle of Man Anti-Cancer Association is a member of the Council of Cancer Charities (CCC). For more information about the CCC click here. To see the calendar of events for all CCC organisations, click here.